Official Website of Liam Houghton
BLOG

Confetti Rockets and the like…

Thursday 12 February 2009

Today I have been out and about in Southwark, on the South bank of the Thames in London. It is the site area determined by my tutors – how wise they are – and I’ve been asked to make an instrument to calibrate various unfixed conditions on site. For example: wind, humidity, pH of soil, ground hardness, contour lines etc.

I have chosen wind and after my simple turbine instruments ruled too simple I have come up with a more abstract one; that of the confetti rocket. Basically, my instrument launches confetti up into the air via a bicycle pump and a pressure chamber, and I then measure the spread and distance the confetti has travelled. From this I can estimate wind density etc.

To be honest, it is quite tedious and embarrassing to have launch lots of pink confetti in the middle of a crowded market, but I have to do it I guess. I may bring you the results in a while , once I’ve processed them.

0 comments

Post a Comment